Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Social-izing

I'm in Savannah!!!  I hit the ground running the moment my plane landed and I am ready to tell you all about it.  For lunch on Saturday, my parents decided to take me to Tybee (the beach in Savannah) for some "tacos" at Social.  Social is an open air, white-washed, rustic building that serves food with paper towels and has fancy artwork on the walls.  None of that seems to go together, but when you're eating there, you don't really care. 

I put tacos in quotes because they are served in grilled flatbread instead of the typical tortilla or shell and the fillings are anything but ordinary.  My Mom ordered the vegetarian, which had squash, almonds, and a red pepper pesto.  My Daddy and I split three tacos: the soft shell crab (with goat cheese, black cherry, and tomatoes), the short rib (with a red wine bbq sauce and onions), and the orange pork (with caramelized onion, raisins, and aioli).  They were all great, but my favorite was the orange pork because it was just the right amount of sweet.  We also ordered a side of collards because I so rarely get to enjoy them in New York.  They were some of the best of had in a long time.  The most interesting thing we ate had to be the roasted peach and blue cheese soup.  It was sweet from the peach and creamy and a little salty from the blue cheese.  I sat at the table trying to disect all ingredients so I can try to replicate it at home.  Although peaches usually scream Summer, the blue cheese made this the perfect transition to Fall.

If that lunch didn't get you jealous that you're not here with me, how's this: it's the last week in November and it's 80 degrees.  Gotta love the South.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails