Search This Blog

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Gobble Gobble 2010

And now for the post you know has been coming: Thanksgiving!  This year put all others to shame since Mark and Allison welcomed a record 18 people into their home.  More people means more food so there was a lot going on in that kitchen.  Before I tell you about the food, please take a look at Allison's beautiful out-of-a-magazine tablescape:
For the third year in a row, my assignment was the appetizer.  As always, I took this as an opportunity to try out some new recipes.  I went with stuffed mushrooms (with hot Italian sausage and cheese) and a goat cheese, arugula, roasted pear, and candied walnut crostini.  They were both very well received!  Stuffed mushrooms and crostini are easy to pick up and always crowd pleasers, so I think they were good choices though the pics don't do them justice:

After some schmoozing, it was time for the big meal.  We had some old favorites as well as some new hits:
  • Butternut squash soup: a new addition from Matt and Jen.  It had a great curry flavor that made it stand apart from all those butternut squash soups you see this time of year.
  • Cranberry relish: Allison adds strawberries to make it a little sweeter - way better than that canned stuff.
  • Ratatouille: Jen's dad brought this to give the meal a little European flair
  • Kasha and bowties: Another new dish from Jen's dad that rounded out the meal
  • 3 dressings (as my big bro pointed out, it's only stuffing if it's stuffed inside the turkey):
    • Rosemary and wild mushroom
    • Fig and pine nut: sweet and a little fancier)
    • Cornbread oyster: my brother actually got into the kitchen and made this one all by himself - after trying it, I am very proud to say we're related
  • Spinach casserole
  • Corn Souffle
  • Carrot Souffle
  • Green Beans
  • Brine Turkey
  • Fried Turkey
  • Dessert: 
    • Khalua Chocolate Pecan Pie
    • Fudge Pie
    • Pecan Pie
    • Praline Cake
    • Caramel Apple Cake
Turkey carving showdown


Everything came out so well that there were not as many leftovers as you would think.  When Konters see a spread like that they attack.  It was a great family gathering, but the real star of the show was Jen's belly.  I may live in NYC with her, but the rest of the fam hadn't had the opportunity to see her growing tum tum up close and personal.  All the food was so good, I'm sure Jen had no problem eating for two.

After that much food, I'm sure you can understand why I could barely move after dinner.  I went home, watched a movie with my parents, and fell asleep early so I could wake up and take on Black Friday like a champ.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails