Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Belated Brussels Sprouts

I ate a very late supper last night.  I was at work until 8:30; but while most people would go home and get take out, I headed to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for dinner.  As I'm sure you can guess but my departure time, work is busy and when it gets crazy like this, I like to relax by cooking.  Furthermore, I have after-work plans every day this week before leaving for Thanksgiving on Friday so I needed to make sure I had one normal meal this week.

I made Israeli cous cous with turkey meatballs and mushrooms, which was all very good but nothing new.  The experimentation came with the side dish.  I managed to make a vegetable totally unhealthy but entirely delicious by preparing brussels sprouts in lemon cream sauce with bacon.  It was delicious!  The lemon zest made this very Fall dish seem lighter and the bacon added the necessary salt.  In a first for me, I boiled and then sauteed the brussels sprouts (because that's what the recipe told me to do) when I have only ever roasted them.  They didn't get that browned, crispy goodness like they do when they're in the oven, but they came out bright green, which looked great on the plate (and still tasted great).  I may have eaten late, but it was worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails