Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2010

Pat Conroy is a Prince

Pat Conroy has wowed me once again with The Prince of Tides, his novel about a family's tumultuous home life and their conflicting feelings toward each other.  I love everything about Conroy's writing style and how he makes me yearn for my own Lowcountry. 

The novel follows Tom Wingo as he relays the complex story of his upbringing to the shrink of his sister who has been institutionalized following her most recent suicide attempt.  The story of the Wingo family is simultaneously comforting and heartbreaking.  Even after they heal, they still seem a bit broken, which I suppose is realistic. 

8 out of 10 stars.  The Lords of Discipline slightly edges this one out as my Conroy fave, but just barely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails