Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bluegrass, Bourbon, BBQ, and...Broccoli

This weekend was the Big Apple BBQ Block Party, an event I look forward to every year.  Since I had just come from brunch, I wasn't super hungry but I wasn't going to miss the chance to soak up a little of the South.  The timing of my arrival was perfect.  My friend Daniel was visiting from Chicago and when I got to Madison Square Park, he was on a break between meat runs, so I didn't need to worry about stuffing my face when I was already full.  Instead, we did something that was a little more my speed.  We drank bourbon.

Many New Yorkers know 11 Madison Park as one of the city's fanciest restaurants.  During the Big Apple BBQ, however, the patio area becomes a casual spot to have a few drinks and listen to a live bluegrass band.  Since the weather turned ugly halfway through the festival, it was nice to be seated underneath an overhang with drinks to warm our bellies.  Though I've enjoyed this event every year, my experience this year was different and maybe a notch better.  BBQ is great, but it's even better when enjoyed alongside good music and a nice mint julep.

On my way home, I realized I needed to pick up something for supper, but I didn't want to deal with the crazy bbq lines while it was still raining.  Instead, I made a quick detour at my favorite sandwich shop, No. 7 Subs.  I picked up a broccoli sandwich with ricotta salata, lychee muchim, and pine nuts to save for later.  Once again, No. 7 has created a great sandwich where a vegetable takes center stage and I didn't even care that there was no meat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails