Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cool Cuban

While I was at home blogging, Steph g-chatted me to see what my big birthday plans were.  When I told her I didn't have anything on the books (after all, the big celebration was Saturday night), she was downright appalled.  She was having none of it.  Next thing I knew, I had dinner plans at Coppelia, a new restaurant that conveniently enough was both on my list and right by the PATH for Steph.

Coppelia may look like a normal diner at first glance, but look closer and you'll see Cuban touches like stained glass and an aqua ceiling.  If you do your research, you'll learn Coppelia is run by the guys behind one of my faves, Yerba Buena, which should peak your interest.  After the waiter lists off all the available hard-to-find drinks (Mexican Coke, juices, etc.), your interests should be more than peaked.

Steph and I split an appetizer of Pizza Cubana, which was basically a cuban sandwich on crispy flatbread with pickled onions and spicy mayo.  We also got two sandwiches and split them: the grilled cheese (cheddar, tomato, bacon, and jalapeno) and the cuban (recommended by the waiter).  We made the cuban sandwich a deluxe so we could have some yucca fries.  The food was dang good (pork was nice and juicy) and very reasonably priced (the cuban was huge and only $8).  There are few Cuban restaurants in the city and even fewer that are relatively inexpensive so I think these guys hit it out of the park.

We were extremely disappointed when we got the dessert menu.  We were too full to eat anything but the menu by Pichet Ong was mouthwatering and more extensive and inventive than the typical Cuban choices.  We now know we need to save room next time.  And there will definitely be a next time.

Based on this birthday, I'm thinking 26 is going to be a good year.  Between the party and the food, it has gotten off to a terrific start.  I am so happy to have such amazing friends who pull me away from the blog so I can continue the celebration - just giving me more material to blog about.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails