Search This Blog

Monday, October 18, 2010

Flip For It

It is nearly impossible for me to stay away from Athens for an entire football season, so I planned a trip to GA for Homecoming.  I was also way past due for a visit with my Atl buddies so I headed down on Thursday night for a little quality time with Patricia and Miesh.  Since Patty took Friday off work, we went to Dark Horse Tavern in Virginia Highlands for a drink and a little Yacht Rock.  If heading to a bar in aviators and a Hawaiian shirt to listen to cruise music sounds like fun (and really, how does that not sound like fun?!), then this is the place to be on Thursday night.  Big fan.  I'm not a crazy Thursday night partyer [anymore], but I was on vacay so I went with it and so glad I did.

I had one restaurant request, so after spending Friday shopping and hanging around, we headed to Flip for some burgers.  If you're an avid Top Chef watcher like me, you may remember chef Richard Blais from the Chicago season.  He was the super inventive one, so I was dying to try his creative burgers.  It was just as good as my brother told me it would be.  I'm embarrassed to tell you how much we ordered, but at the risk of sounding like an extreme fatty I'll give you the full report:
  • Po Boyger: shrimp, old bayo, lettuce, tomato, tobasco, and a fried lemon - the fried lemon was unexpected and provided the necessary balance to the spicy sauce.  I lump this in the sandwich category more so than with burgers, but for a sandwich it was dang good.
  • Ossobuco: veal, braised veal breast, gremolata mayo, braised ketchup, crispy fried onions - so moist.  It tasted like a full Italian dinner in patty form.
  • Chorizo: spicy pork sausage, romesco ketchup, hash browns, fried egg, manchego, and smoked mayo - unbelievable.  The egg broke to cover the burger with a creamy sauce that tamed the spice of the chorizo.
  • Two orders of herbed fries - they're served with ketchup and smoked mayo which are great, but we also ordered some beer honey mustard for dipping and I recommend you do the same.
  • The milkshakes are also the talk of the town so we had to order one of those as well.  They make them earlier in the day and then freeze them with liquid nitrogen just prior to service.  We went with the Krispy Kreme, which tasted just like a frozen doughnut.  I'm not a milkshake person, but I fell in love with this.  
Keep in mind, we ordered all this food for just 2 girls.  It sounds a little crazy but I didn't want to miss anything on the menu.  I loved it all and am still debating which was my favorite burger.  The place is hopping, but if you don't want to wait for a table, I recommend ordering for pick-up because these burgers are too good to miss.
Chorizo
Ossobuco
Po Boyger

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails