Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Via Quadronno

I've known about Via Quadronno ever since I lived a couple avenues away on 73rd street when I first moved to New York.  I first noticed it as a cute and narrow café on my way to the park on a sunny weekend.  It looked like the perfect place to grab a quick brunch or lunch bite along with a good cup of coffee.  I am a great judge of character, it seems, because that is exactly what it is.

This place is the flame to which Upper East Side moths are drawn.  It's classy, the food is consistently good, and the prices are just high enough to keep the riff raff out.  This is something they take very seriously as they are notably always closed the day of the Puerto Rican Day Parade.  No comment.

Since the restaurant is a mere half block from Central Park I decided to grab an iced coffee and Il Cosacco panini (bresaola, camembert, and thinly sliced lemon) to go.  Because this is one of their specialty paninis it rang up at almost $15 which is a little pricey considering it's on a demi baguette.  But it was such a beautiful day outside that I didn't care.  Also, lemon inside a sandwich is a new experience for me.  There was just the slightest pucker before the sandwich gives way to the salty bresaola.  I'll definitely try to replicate it at home, then perhaps I can save myself a few bucks on my next trip to the park.  

It may be a little more than I typically like to spend but I loved how the people at the takeout counter knew most patrons by name.  "How are you doing, Dr. So-and-so?" was a question I heard 4 times in the short time I was waiting for my order.  Maybe I'll reserve this one for special park occasions...or for when I'm one of those chic Upper East Side moths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails