Search This Blog

Friday, May 24, 2013

Sausage and Peppers Cous Cous

I usually keep a package of chicken sausage in my fridge for those nights when I get home late but still want a home cooked meal.  They stay fresh for a while and come in all sorts of fun flavors like jalapeno, the variety residing in my fridge this week.  If you've ever seen an episode of The Jersey Shore where they cook family meal, you know sausage and peppers is a classic dish.  Using that as my inspiration, I whipped up a batch to serve over Israeli cous cous.

I chopped up an onion and a bell pepper and threw them in a pan.  No oil or anything.  Once it starts crackling - which it will do soon without oil/butter - toss in a little white wine and some garlic and keep going til it cooks out and the veggies are tender.  When the wine is almost gone, add the sliced sausage.  It's already cooked so it just needs to warm up.  Your cous cous should be cooked by now so put in a drop of oil so it doesn't clump up and toss in some grated parm or pecorino.  Use whichever cheese you have on hand.  I'm assuming you have some sort of grate-able Italian cheese in your fridge at all times because you're not a heathen.  The cheese adds some flavor and the wine that you cooked the veggies in does the rest and the whole thing comes together in about 20 minutes.   I can't believe that anything inspired by the Jersey Shore was a success.  What is this world coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails