Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I'll Go Back to Brooklyn

I am so happy the Brooklyn Flea decided to make Williamsburg its new home for the Sunday flea market.  I love a good adventure, but I love it even more when it's an easy subway ride away.  There were so many great vendors - food and otherwise.  I stayed until I ran out of cash, which brings me to my next point: Rachael Ray can suck it.

As some of you may recall, Rachael Ray used to have a show on Food Network called $40 A Day, where she would travel to some city and show you all the fun you could have with just forty bucks.  I walked into the flea with two 20s in my pocket, and I'm pretty sure I did more with it than that E.V.O.O.-loving gal could have ever done.

I started by browsing the non-food vendors while I worked up an appetite.  I walked away with a switchplate cover made out of a record and a cameo ring.  That took up exactly half of my funds.  That would have been a meal and a half for Rach and I'll have these trinkets forever.  Round one goes to me.

Once I had my new home decor and jewelry, it was time to eat.  There were a ton of food vendors so I had to make some tough decisions.  There was a huge line for Red Hook Lobster Pound and their $15, good but tiny lobster rolls.  Amateurs.  I decided to start with a pupusa from Solber Pupusas.  Pupusas are stuffed, grilled tortillas (I chose pork and cheese) that are served with pickled cabbage, jalapenos, sour cream, and salsa ($4, with a discount for combos).  This was the first time I had heard of the El Salvadorian street food and I loved it, particularly all the fixins.  I can already tell you I'll be dragging my brother to the Brooklyn Flea next time he visits just so he can taste this because I know it would be right up his alley.
There was a long line for Asia Dog, one of this season's breakout stars, but I was holding on to my pupusa so I didn't want to wait in a line.  I know I'll have to try Asia Dog soon, but I'm not a major hot dog girl anyway [gasp!] so I wasn't devastated that Sunday wasn't the day.  I think sausages are hot dogs that have grown into themselves, so when I saw Brooklyn Bangers - a vendor I had never heard of - I decided to make it course number two.  I got the seasonal rampwurst ($8) and could tell it was a very well made sausage; however, I wish it had a little more spice.  I know not all sausages are supposed to be spicy, but that's how I like them.  
I needed a little dessert, and although Dough (purveyor of uniquely flavored doughnuts) was calling my name, they were too big for me.  Even though they were only $2 each, I decided to resist until I can share one with someone.  Instead, I found the Liddabit Sweets stand.  They had homemade candy bars in all sorts of flavors, jellies, and various caramels.  Everything looked good, especially the King candy bar and beer-pretzel caramels, but I decided to go with sea salt caramels because that's one treat that's just too darn hard for me to pass up.  I got six caramels for $5.25, ate one as my dessert and brought the rest home.  Well, I brought the rest on the subway and finished them off before I made it back to my apartment.

If you're keeping track, I had spent $17.25 on food, which meant there was only $2.75 left in my pocket and I was thirsty.  Why settle for a coke when you can quench your thirst with something even more fun?  The popsicles from People's Pops may be $3.50, but the shaved to order ice is only $2.50.  Their flavors are somewhat uncommon and always refreshing.  I went with bartlett pear.  It was the perfect end to my meal and I slurped it up North 6th while thinking about how much better I am at spending $40 than Rachael Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails