Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

Book Review: Kitchen Confidential

I had read bits and pieces of Anthony Bourdain's memoir before, so I knew what I was getting into. There are so many "does this really happen?!" moments that I believe actually ring true. Does the rampant drug use behind the kitchen doors of the finest restaurants bother me? A bit, yes. Did I still love learning about it? Absolutely.

Since everyone is into food nowadays, restaurants are viewed as glamorous enterprises where every aspiring foodie deserves a role. Bourdain makes sure everyone knows that is not true. He is blunt and funny and put my views on the restaurant industry into perspective. Sure, I still consider myself the type of foodie that annoys Bourdain, but at least now I understand how he feels about me.

Points deducted because the book was mostly chronological. That means the parts where he skipped around in time were a little bothersome. I also wish there was a little more background on his life outside of the kitchen, mostly because I have zero clue how his wife put up with him.

7 out of 10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails