Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ride 'Em Cowboy

Over the weekend, Dave and I decided it was time to get out of the cold and do something fun, so we shuffled ourselves over to MSG to enjoy the PBR.  Who am I kidding - we've had this planned for months, and I have been counting down the days, anxiously anticipating the time for beer and bulls. 
First of all, let me point out that PBR does not stand for Pabst Blue Ribbon.  Well, it does - but not in this instance.  PBR is the acronym for Professional Bull Riding - three amazing words, even better when strung together.  After spending my senior year at UGA working with the Great Southland Stampede Rodeo, the only student-run, professionally sanctioned rodeo event in the country, I was infinitely glad to have a little bit of Southern fun up here in NYC.


Allow me to set the scene.  The cowboy boot wearing crowd turned out in droves to watch each rider attempt to last 8 seconds on animals with names like Chicken on a Chain and Lacey Balls.  Please note, unlike rodeos in the South, I think only about .5% of this crowd actually dresses like this on a normal basis.   The rest came from Murray Hill and purchased their flannel shirts at Urban Outfitters specifically for the occasion.  Posers.  Nonetheless, it looked like everyone walked straight out of a Field & Stream catalog and made for some good ambiance.


For all those who laughed when I told them what I was doing over the weekend, I will have you know it was a solid evening and you should seriously consider joining us next year.  The night was even better when combined with some of my homemade pulled pork sandwiches (my new favorite thing to cook) pre-PBR and a stop for some mac & cheese, fried pickles, and spinach-artichoke dip at Brother Jimmy's after (not like the Southern food at home, but it'll do in a pinch).  I plan to throw more things like this onto the event roster in the near future.  Next up: monster trucks in March.  Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails