Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

New York Chanukah

As I briefly mentioned in the last post, I didn't know it was Chanukah until after it started.  That got me feeling like the worst Jew ever.  Large amounts of self-inflicted Jewish guilt ensued.  So on Friday night, I set out to redeem myself by making a Chanukah meal just like my Grandma and invited Matt and Karina over to help me celebrate.

Every year, my grandma cooks the same meal for Chanukah: fried chicken, ribs, gumbo, biscuits, and latkes.  Being a New York City career woman, there was no way I would be able to cook all that before Matt and Karina arrived so I did was most NYC women do: I assembled.  You know the girls I'm talking about - the ones who only use their stove to store extra clothes.  I followed their lead and instead of cooking everything I picked up from a bunch of places and just served it on real dinnerware.  It turned out great.  Let it be known that Whole Foods makes some bangin latkes that are made with spaghetti squash and zucchini.  It looked great, tasted better, and took hardly any time to make.  Of course it wasn't as good as my Grandma's meal, but it was a great substitute in a crunch.  And meant fewer dishes.

In New York, everything either delivers or pre-prepares for pick-up.  Everything.  There's no excuse to not throw a little dinner party and I now know there's no shame in taking a little help from the store.  Less time in the kitchen means more time drinking wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails