Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

Italy and Eataly

While my parents were here, we checked out Italian mecca Eataly, Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich's massive (I'm talking 50,000 square feet) Italian marketplace.  There are several mini cafes, fresh produce, meats, cheeses, breads, and anything else you could think of.  I was in heaven!  We went there with the intention of just checking it out, but once we saw how amazing it was, there was no way we were leaving empty handed.

I picked up some of the fresh pasta (braised veal agnolotti), some lamb, sausage, pork chop, and some hen of the woods mushrooms.  The quality was off the charts and the total only came to $21.  The quality is also apparent in the staff.  When I asked a question about food prep to the butcher, he launched into a comprehensive explanation and even wrote a recipe on the wax paper that wrapped my meat.  I'm hooked.

By 6 PM last night, my parents had hopped into a cab and headed to the airport and I was home, re-acquainting myself with my DVR.  It's hard to believe, but since my parents had been here for a nice long stay, I hadn't eaten at home in a full week.  It was time my stove saw some love.  Thankfully, my parents left me with my Eataly care package, so I was all set to prepare a great meal.

I made lamb meatballs (with oregano, cumin, paprika, and red pepper) and served them with the fresh pasta (which was INCREDIBLE - I'll be back for more very soon), and hen of the woods mushrooms.  Tossed it all with a lot of butter.  Delicious.  The executive decision has also been made that next time my parents visit, we're going back to Eataly, stocking up, and cooking a nice family meal at my apartment - restaurants be damned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails