Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Wonton Weekend

Another night at home tonight.  What can I say, I guess I'm turning into a huge lame-o, but every once in a while, it's nice to have a really laid back weekend (especially after a busy b-day weekend like the one I just had).  It's not like I sat around doing absolutely nothing.  After the breakfast of champions mentioned in the previous post, I meandered around the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market, did a little shopping in Herald Square, and then met Raychel for a movie.  By the time I got back to my apartment, it was 8 PM and I was pooped and had no interest in heading out again.

On went the pajamas and I got ready for another night of cooking.  After learning how simple crab rangoons are, I decided I wanted to try my hand at making the Chinese treat.  I could have used a few more scallions, but other than that, I thought they came out really well!  I'm sure they would have been even better if I used lump crab meat, but I'm on a budget and the claw meat is half the price.  It's getting mixed in with cream cheese, so no one can really tell the difference, anyway.  I also decided to buck tradition and bake them instead of frying them.  I would like to say I made that decision in an attempt to be healthy, but we all know that doesn't really sound like me.  It was more because I knew I couldn't make a meal out rangoons, so I paired them with another wonton based treat, some gyoza (pork dumplings) that were pan-fried.  Health-wise, I think the calories cancelled each other out.  The gyoza were actually courtesy of my good friend, Trader Joe.  They're super easy and taste like they came from a restaurant.  I keep them in my freezer at all times and I suggest you do the same.  You'd think I would be a little sick of all the wontons, but you'd be wrong.
gyoza on left; homemade crab rangoons on right

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails