Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Good Dinner Makes for Great Brunch

Early in the week, I decided this would be a low-key weekend.  It has been a while since I tried out any new recipes, and I was feeling the itch to get back in the kitch.  I downloaded all sorts of apps onto my fancy phone, one of which - Epicurious - provides me with a recipe of the day as well as a pretty serious database.  It was there that I discovered a recipe for pea/feta/scallion mash that I served over nan bread.  This dip/spread has great texture, an interesting flavor combination (sweet from the peas, tangy from the feta), and a nice springy color.  All in all, a good way to start the meal, especially since I'm tired of using hummus as a go-to Mediterranean spread in a pinch.

Like I said, it was a good way to start the meal, but an appetizer is simply not enough.  For a side dish, I prepared asparagus proscuitto bundles.  Easiest thing I've ever made and maybe one of the tastiest.  As a child, smothering my veggies with cheese was the way to get me to eat my leafy greens.  Now, I think I'll eat it if it's covered in prosciutto or bacon.  For the main dish, I grilled scallops, squid, and octopus and served atop zucchini ribbons.  The pics don't do it justice - whole meal was delicious, simple, and bound to be repeated.


One of the greatest things about cooking for one is that I often have lots of leftover bits and pieces.  It's easy to get sick of leftovers...unless you repurpose last night's dinner as this morning's brunch like I did today.  I used the leftover peas and prosciutto, scrambled with eggs and some goat cheese I already had in the fridge.  Thanks to my leftovers, it was way better than a normal scrambled egg breakfast.
So I know it sounds like an incredibly lame Friday night, but I happened to enjoy myself and when you come to visit and try some of this cooking, you'll be very happy I spent an evening at home perfecting the recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails