Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Birthday Burger

As the last hoorah of my b-day celebration, I took yesterday off to celebrate it like the holiday it is.  It was a perfect day:  I caught up on my DVR'd shows, read/people-watched in the park, and enjoyed a burger.

Burger spot brgr opened their 2nd outpost this weekend, and it is conveniently located around the corner from my apartment.  I didn't know they had health on the brain, and if I did, I probably would have dismissed the restaurant.  I think of neither my health nor the planet's well-being when eating a burger.  I'm usually too concerned with devouring delicious red meat to think of such things. 

brgr uses only grass-fed cows with no hormones.  This uses half as much fossil fuel as the grain-fed counterparts and results in beef with higher omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin E levels.  Ok, so maybe it's not "healthy", but it's something different and makes me feel a little better about stuffing my face.

The menu is not huge, but they have some interesting toppings/combos.  I had the Rainforest Burger with gruyere, avocado, and herb mayo.  The avocado was placed atop the patty in large slices, which I much prefer to the thin layer of guac offered at most places.  I also added grilled mushrooms and onions - a good choice, if I do say so myself.  It was a good, greasy burger.  I'll definitely have to try the burger topped with a fried egg, because I find it intriguing.  My only complaint is that the meat was not as rare as I typically like.

I could not decide which fries to get, so I ordered The Trio: russet fries, sweet potato fries, and onion hay (thin frizzled onions).  The regular fries were a little greasy and extra soft (I know that's a turnoff for most people, but I love flaccid fries).  On the contrary, the sweet potato fries could have been cut a little thicker.  The onion hay was good, but there's only so much of that I can eat.  Next time, I'll probably stick with the original fry.

Although my thighs may not agree, I am pretty happy Jamba Juice vacated the space to make room for brgr.  It's still no Shake Shack or JG Melon, but it is a very welcome addition to the neighborhood.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails