Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tasty Tamarind

I kicked off my birthday weekend (it's a big birthday - I deserve a whole weekend) by crossing a restaurant off my list.  After hearing Susan talk/blog about Tamarind, the Indian restaurant was added to my ever lengthening list of must-trys.

I don't usually connect Indian fare with fine dining, but Tamarind takes Indian food to a new, sophisticated level.  I had a good feeling about the food from the amuse bouche.  This nan pizza thing was amazing.  It quite literally melted in my mouth and was a great way to start the meal.

The menu pulls from many Indian regions, so we felt the need to try a little of everything.  Instead of ordering on our own, we went family style to taste as much as possible.  After reading the following list of what we ate, you'll understand why I had to go straight home to lay down after dinner.
  • Appetizers:
    • Scallops in a coconut mint sauce
    • Bass and crab cakes
    • Lamb patties
  • Entrees:
    • Tandoor Chicken (very moist - dried out tandoor chicken is my biggest source of disappointment in Indian restaurants)
    • Chicken Tikka Masala
    • Another chicken dish in delicious sauce...I wish I could remember what was in it
    • Saag Paneer
    • Lamb Shank
    • Halibut in a coconut ginger sauce - Halibut is the last thing that comes to my mind when I think Indian, but this was my favorite dish of the night
  • Rice and Nan
Next time you're looking to go out for a nice dinner, don't think you're restricted to French and continental.  Tamarind showed me that Indian can play with the other kids on the fine dining playground.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you enjoyed it!! Hope you had fun last night! Sorry we missed it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails