Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Book Review: Reconstructing Amelia

When Amelia commits suicide by jumping off the roof of her elite New York City prep school, things don't quite add up for her mother.  Amelia was happy and never showed any of the signs, but Kate doesn't start asking questions until she gets a mysterious text from a blocked number telling her Amelia didn't jump.  On a mission, Kate begins to sift through all of Amelia's texts and emails to see if she can figure out what exactly went wrong.  As she digs deeper, she uncovers a secret society and a world of gossip lying deep inside the prep school's walls.  With chapters thrown in from Amelia's perspective to fill in the blanks, we learn how secrets can tear people apart before they even know what's happening.

Though I'm proud to say I figured out most of the shocking twists in the story, I was not deterred from reading until I learned if I was right.  The only downside is that part of the climax felt a little melodramatic - very "and I woulda gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids."  I also felt some of the storylines fizzled, making me think the author took on a bit too much trying to develop them without letting them fully play out.  I suppose they ended as they would have in real life though so I can't be too upset about it.  

4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails