Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2012

Crab and Kale

I was surprised how easily dinner came together on Wednesday night.  I didn't even make it to the grocery store until the time that I would normally like to start cooking so I knew I would have to get some quick cooking ingredients.  At the fish counter, I found ready-made fried softshell crab for $6 each.  Immediately I knew I would be making a sandwich.  I picked up squash and zucchini that was already julienned along with some arugula from the salad bar.  While I warmed the softshell crab in the toaster, I tossed the squash and zucchini with some mayo and curry powder.  I didn't really cook anything when it came to the sandwich, but it evolved into a pretty special sandwich due to some strategic assembly.

The side dish was just as easy.  When the individual ingredients are flavorful, you don't need many of them to create something striking.  This kale dish, for example was comprised of three total ingredients.  I cooked chopped kale (the pre-chopped stuff was a beautiful shortcut) in boiling water for about five minutes.  While that was cooking, I sauteed dried chorizo until it started releasing its own oils.  I got the chorizo from the deli counter (where they sliced it for me) and then gave it a rough chop before sauteing it.  I drained the kale and added it to the chorizo so the flavors could combine.  You don't even need any oil, salt, or pepper.  Once it's all mixed together, top with a poached egg.  Done.

[I think] the picture makes the whole meal seem homemade and well thought out...even though it took a total of 15 minutes to throw together.  Even if you don't think it looks like it took much planning or effort, does it matter?  It tasted good enough for me to recommend you make it yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails