Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Passover Picnic

Since Greg and Susan up and moved across the country, I decided to host this year's Passover Seder on Saturday night.  Once the RSVPs started pouring in, I realized what an undertaking this was going to be.  I immediately conferenced in my Mom for some menu planning assistance.  I was terrified about my first brisket - after all, brisket is the centerpiece of most Jewish meals and what ye be judged by all other Jewesses - but she coached me through it.  Other than the brisket, I made charoset, deviled eggs, salad, sweet potato casserole, and okra and tomatoes with quinoa.  I delegated a little bit and had some friends chip in when it came to fruit and dessert.  Based on the fact that there was no brisket left when I went to make my plate, I'm thinking the food was all well received.  It's always a good idea to use your Mom's recipe when the opportunity presents itself since they've had years to perfect it. 

After we did a little praying and a lot of eating, we sat around playing Table Topics.  Once you crack open this cube of conversation starters, everyone will get involved so it was the perfect way to bring my mixed bag of nuts together.  We were working with a 50/50 Jew/Non-Jew split and people from all different social groups.  By the end of the meal, everyone was buddy buddy and maybe even learned a bit about the holiday.   

The food was gobbled up by all 13 guests.  Yup, 13 people (plus a baby) squeezed into my little apartment.  Since I don't have a table large enough, I set everything up on the floor for a Passover Picnic.  I have such good sports for friends.  No complaints about sitting on throw pillows were voiced.  I made sure to decorate the floor just as I would a real dining room table with flowers in ribbon-accented mason jars, a table cloth, and party favors.  Usually you say, "next year in Jerusalem;" we said, "next year in a bigger apartment."  


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails