Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

From Joan's on 3rd to Tess' on 61st

I always read about celebrities like Katie Lee who absolutely love Joan's on Third, the cafe and catering company in LA.  Apparently Gayle King is also a fan because she raved about one of their sandwiches in a magazine article about her favorite things.  She briefly described it as grilled cheese with goat cheese and fig jam on raisin bread.  Sounds easy enough right?  Though I'm sure Joan has put slightly more research into her sandwich and likely makes artisan bread and jam from scratch, I was able to buy those three ingredients ready to go at Trader Joe's and made myself a delicious little sandwich.

I used fig butter instead of fig jam because that's what they had at the store, but I also think I'll get more mileage out of the butter.  It went on one piece of bread and the goat cheese went on the other.  Even though goat cheese is not known for it's melty qualities, it gets even smoother as it's grilled.  A small sandwich is utterly satisfying and I could make a case for eating it at any meal.  It's sweet enough for breakfast and tangy enough to serve with a light salad for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails