Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2012

Korean BBQ

After fancier dinners on Thursday and Friday nights, my parents and I wanted something low-key for Saturday night.  We also needed something quick and on the West side since we were going to an 8 PM Broadway show.  We ended up in K-town for Korean BBQ at Kang Suh.  I have been spoiled by Korean in Flushing, which is about as legit as it gets, but Kang Suh is a wonderful substitute that is much easier to get to. 

We ordered three dishes and shared around, though two would have probably been sufficient.  We asked for the seafood pancake, but they brought us the scallion instead.  No matter, the egg dish was as airy as it should be (I see the evidence of interior swiss cheese-like pockets as a good thing) with a nice salty crust from where the edges clung to the pan.  We wanted to make sure to get one of the bbq dishes so we went with the kalbi, short ribs marinated in soy sauce.  This one was nice and salty but also a little sweet.  I thought it tasted best when I wrapped it in lettuce and topped with bean paste and pickled veggies from the bibimbap.  For our third dish, my Daddy wanted seafood so I crossed my fingers and hoped he would want to order my favorite Korean dish, squid with a red pepper sauce served with fat noodles.  This is the kind of dish that's spicy, but even as your nose starts to run and your tongue starts feeling too thick to fit in your mouth, you just can't stop eating. 

A huge positive for Kang Suh is that it's 24/7.  It can be difficult to satisfy a craving for this type of food at 3 AM.  A rowdy night of karaoke followed by late night food in K-town sounds perfect to me.  The only downside is that my hair spelled like Korean BBQ for the next four hours.  I hope the woman sitting next to me at the Broadway production of Memphis didn't mind too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails