Search This Blog

Friday, April 6, 2012

Book Review: Me Talk Pretty One Day

For years I've been told I need to read David Sedaris' collection of essays, Me Talk Pretty One Day.  I tried once, but after buying a faulty copy (after about 50 pages it started from the beginning), I got discouraged by the botched book and put it down.  At the time, I also wasn't thrilled by the subject matter.  Blame it on my sheltered upbringing, but I was in no mood to read about someone who casually discusses his homosexuality (gasp!) and past drug use (double gasp!).

Seven years after my first attempt, I tried again after Jen told me how much she loved it.  Jen and I typically agree on books and movies so I trusted her recommendation.  It also helped that she was able to lend me her copy since I didn't want to shell out the money a second time if I was just going to put it down again.  This time proved far more successful than the first.  I flew through Sedaris' witty rants that cover everything from grating tourists to his twisted love of the macabre.  I guess I just had some big-city-living to do, but I loved it.  Instead of seeing the essays as being in poor taste, I now find them playful.  Sedaris is cynical, but he recognizes it so he doesn't take himself too seriously.

3.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails