Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mac Daddy

One of my favorite ingredients is chorizo.  I can figure out a way to work it into almost any meal and dinner this week was no exception.  After a nice run on the tread, I came home ready to carbo-load, so I boiled up some pasta and started prepping the other fixins.  The chorizo went into a saucepan along with some shrimp (forgot I bought them the day before - bonus).  I wanted to make a cheese sauce so I faced a fear: the dreaded roux.  I know how to make a roux...I've just never done it, and the idea of the flour/butter/cream mixture turning lumpy if you look away for a mere moment frightened me.  I'm glad I tried, because it worked and made the mac and cheese creamy and delicious.  Bread crumbs added a nice crunchy contrast.

Mac and cheese is basically my favorite food (and it has to be said, no one's is better than my Mommy's).  With a little tweaking, mine may actually be as good as S'mac (and with a lot of practice, as good as Mommy Konter's).  S'mac is one of my favorite restaurants in the city.  The menu is made up of only mac and cheese dishes - each one better than the last.  The best part (well 2nd best because the taste is clearly the best) is the price.  The nosh (aka: small) is more food than you actually need and is only about $7.  My favorites are the La Mancha and the Cajun.  If you can't make it to my kitchen for mac and cheese, head to S'mac to satisfy your macaroni cravings.
My S'mac Substitute

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails