Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

The Hardy Bulb

I saw the following quote on my calendar yesterday (yes, I have a foodie calendar):

 
"My final, considered judgement is that the hardy bulb blesses and ennobles everything it touches - with the exception of ice cream and pie."
-Italian-American Author Angelo Pellegrini (1904-1991) on garlic

 
That got me thinking about one of my favorite appetizers: roasted garlic.  Cut a whole head of garlic in half, cover with olive oil and wrap in an aluminum foil pocket.  Then just let it sit in the sauna that is your oven for around 30 minutes and once it comes out it will be nice and spreadable.  I serve it on grilled pita wedges with a little goat cheese, but it's also good with some roasted red pepper or caramelized onions.
  • Fact: Roman doctors gave garlic to invalids
  • Fact: Egyptians used it in the embalming process (because those people didn't smell bad enough)
  • Fact: Greeks believed it gave you crazy super-human strength
  • Fact: If you and your date both eat garlicy foods, the bad breath factor is non-existent

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails