Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Riptides

I get to cross a state off my list now that I have spent a weekend in Rhode Island.  Rhode Island never happened to come up in conversation while I was growing up so I pretty much forgot it was a state.  I remember someone joined my high school senior year from Rhode Island and I asked him a million questions about what the littlest state was like - as if he was a foreigner.  Unfortunately, he was one of those strong silent types and gave me nothing I could work with.  My questions about the mysterious state were finally answered this weekend when a group of my fellow Birthrighters planned a little reunion.  Sam, one of the boys from our trip, invited us to his place in Narragansett and we made it quite the beach getaway.

The Boston and NYC contingency Megabussed it into Providence where Sam picked us up and took us to his home in Narragansett, about 40 minutes away.  I absolutely adored the New England architecture in this quaint beach town.  All those cute shingled houses looked like they allowed the sea air to flow in and out through osmosis as the gulls circled overhead.  We lived beach life to the fullest by waking up at 5:30 AM to catch the sunrise over the ocean, peoplewatching on the beach (both trashy beach-goers and good looking lifeguards provided ample viewing pleasure), and hitting up the waterside bar at night.

After our sunrise excursion on Saturday morning, the rest of the group went back to regain a few precious hours of sleep, but Jill and I were up and moving.  We had spotted the cute little Grinnell Inn on our way back from our beach walk and decided to walk back there for some breakfast at their restaurant, Riptides.  The second we walked inside, we realized it was one of those dandy local diners they love to re-create on TV.  I was suddenly on the set of Gilmore Girls.

This place had all the local beachy charm we were hoping to find.  Everyone was so cheery at 7:30 in the morning!  Because we sat down before 7:30, our waitress asked if we were here for the morning special.  I figured a special might mean they would throw in a side of toast on the house since Jill and I were already marveling over the cheap $10 max prices.  But no, the special includes 2 eggs cooked any way, homefries or fruit, and toast for - get this - $2.49.  What?!  This exists?!  It does and it was good, just as you would expect from a good local diner.  What they do throw in on the house, regardless of time of day, is a sample of their cinnamon bread pudding with the most wonderful crust.  

The meal was so good, we went back the next day.  Though we arrived after the breakfast special, our meals were still inexpensive and we expanded beyond the typical and ordered omelettes and breakfast burritos.  Both days, we played the peg game and Trivial Pursuit while we sipped on bottomless coffee for $1.95.  Breakfast out is a relaxing experience.  Breakfast out by the beach will put you in a Zen state.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails