Search This Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2012

3 on Thursday

I was so productive last weekend!  I ran all sorts of errands and even made it into the office to finish some work.  This week is pretty crazy, too.  I'm running my presentation by my boss as our client meeting nears, and on top of that I've had book club and birthdays after work.  Quite the mix of work and play going on.
I love how beautiful churches and temples can be.   It seems easier to worship when the house of worship itself is worthy of awe.  I passed Central Synagogue the other day and was floored by it's beauty.  I have never seen such design in the US so I looked it up and learned that those stunning blue-green towers are part of the Moorish Revival architecture style.  I don't belong to any temple, but I imagine it would be nice to pray in a place like this.
I am not at all a fashionista.  I favor the preppy classics, but while I was walking through Bloomingdales, picking up a shower gift, I was inspired by some of the hottest trends.  One look at the $198 price tag on the funky, patterned jeans was enough to push me out the door.  I still had the shopping bug so I popped into H&M across the street and wound up re-creating an entire Bloomies outfit for a fraction of the price.  I found a great pair of blue tie dye jeans and a silky pale blue mullet top (the front is normal length, the back is long) that looked very similar to what I saw on the department store mannequins.  I topped off the outfit with a pair of studded, beige, faux suede pumps.  I must admit, I surprised myself with how trendy this outfit was.  So not me, but I kinda loved it.  I never could have paid full price for a pair of jeans that I know won't be in style in a year, but I had no problem buying all three pieces for $95.  Yup, that's less than half of what the designer jeans alone cost.  Maybe I'm a frugal fashionista after all.

I've always had to head to Chinatown for good bubble tea, but on a recent walk home from work I found a misfit bubble tea shop that wandered up to midtown.  CoCo doesn't necessarily have the extensive menu as the places in Chinatown, but it has the basics.  I wasn't sure if that would be enough, but when I saw mostly Asians walking in and out, I figured it was probably legit.  The bubble gaga was on sale, but it happens to be what I would have ordered regardless.  It was passion fruit green tea with tapioca and coconut jellies.  The jellies tasted sweet but not overly coconut-y, which is fine because I wasn't looking for a pina colada.  After working up a sweat on a long walk in the humidity, it was the perfect refreshment.  I'm usually happy to head to Chinatown when I want a full dose of Chinese culture, but when all I want is a cooling bubble tea, it's nice to have a place close to home.


1 comment:

  1. Did you go inside Central? The sanctuary is the most stunning I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails