Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Low Carb Sub

The main identifying feature of a sub is the bread.  A perfect hoagie roll defines a sub...so how do you make it low carb?  I did it by using a cucumber instead of bread.  Simply hollow out the watery, seedy middle part and fill the cavity with whatever you like.  As long as you don't overstuff, it's an easy lunch to bring into the office.  I made mine with turkey and goat cheese and felt really good about my lunch choice.  I've got a couple bridesmaids dresses to squeeze into soon and if I keep eating like this, I'm pretty confident fit won't be a problem.  Some other ideas for this recipe:
  • Substitute the fillings with one of these options.  I recommend only putting 2 ingredients inside the cucumber.  One should be a meat and the other should be a spread or soft cheese to avoid having anything fall out: 
    • Ham and Brie
    • Curry Chicken Salad
    • Roast Beef and Olive Tapenade or Roast Beef and Blue Cheese
  • Once you make the subs, cut them up like sushi and serve as appetizers at a party
  • Wrap the whole thing in prosciutto (goes well with chopped tomato and mozzarella or roasted red pepper and feta).  This will help if you've got fillings in danger of falling out.  It also gives you an extra dose of meat.  Nothing wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails