Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tyra: From Model to Mogul


Last night I was too full to go straight to bed (more on that meal in a later post) so I stayed up late and watched Jimmy Fallon interview Tyra Banks.  When she walked on set I was kinda blah about her.  But then she started talking about her new business venture, Type F, and my opinion of the supermodel-turned-businesswoman changed.

Type F is a website with general beauty/fashion content, BUT if you register and tell them a little about yourself, the Type F crew will tailor the site to your needs.  Do you live in the Midwest?  Well then you probably don’t care about LA’s beachy look and that’s A-OK because those folks in La La land don’t love the black career-driven style typical of the Big Apple.  It’s not just about where you live; it’s about your body type.  If you are a blond- haired, blue-eyed, tan size 2, G-d bless ya, but I am a pale, brunette size 4, which means we have different beauty and style needs.  I would love to be fed info that applies to me without all the waste. 

A personalized site like this is genius and something we have been talking about in the magazine industry for a while.  I believe the future of publishing could lie in allowing the reader to create their own experience.  I know there are plenty of people who love reading 75% of one given magazine’s content and 60% of another’s.  How happy would they be if they could design one publication comprised of all the best parts?

I haven’t gone through all the nooks and crannies of the site, so I’m not sure if there are kinks to work out, but I think Tyra is onto something.  I also learned on Jimmy Fallon that she is attending Harvard Business School so she can grow her brand and give her the proper foundation to become an even savvier business woman.  I’m impressed, Tyra.  You’re way more than a pretty face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails