Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pot Pie and Parsnips

When I told my Mom about the delicious casserole I cooked last week, she told me that she tried to cook a casserole for my Daddy when they first married.  "Casseroles are for poor people," he told her.  He must have later warmed to the idea because I ate a lot of casseroles growing up.  The one I made last week, however, was a new recipe.  I mixed chicken, bell pepper, onion, cream of mushroom soup, and mayo.  I poured it into a dish and topped with crescent roll dough and cheddar cheese and popped it into the oven.  It was a poor man's chicken pot pie.  It was also an easy chicken pot pie, particularly because I made it with chicken that was conveniently cut into strips.  Quite the timesaver.

I felt like I needed a vegetable, so I decided to try something new.  I roasted mushrooms with parsnips, a vegetable I've never tried cooking and only eaten about twice.  Turns out, these root veggies are sweet, starchy, and hearty - just what you crave in during the long winter we've been enduring.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails