Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Truffle Shuffle

I had a major craving for mac and cheese and couldn't help but give into it last night.  I didn't just want any mac; I wanted truffle mac.  This country may be going into truffle oil exhaustion (it's everywhere!), but I still think it goes so well with mac and cheese.

I went to the store to pick up a few (ok, four) cheeses: gruyere, gouda, fontina, and parmesan.  I boiled up the pasta and mixed it with grated gruyere, gouda, and fontina.  Then I covered the top with panko bread crumbs and parmesan.  I poured a little egg/milk mixture over the top to help the whole thing bind together.  I know most mac and cheese recipes call for a roux, but this was quicker and I'm hoping slightly healthier.  Maybe next time I'll make it with the roux, but last night I just needed to go with the quick and simple version because it was late and I was tired.  For the kicker, I drizzled the white truffle oil over the top before baking.

Between the truffle oil and the cheeses I chose, this was a way earthier mac and cheese than one that uses your regular cheddar.  I'm telling you, that tiny bottle of truffle oil was the best $13 I've ever spent.  It makes just about any dish (and especially this one) sing.  And it sings in a deep, sexy, Isaac Hayes voice.  It probably could have used a little more cheese to make it extra gooey but I ran out of cheese.  It's probably better anyway - I like to think that someone up there was looking out for my waistline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails