Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Fakin Steak and Potatoes

The other day I found a truly massive portobello mushroom. "That's the size of a steak," I thought as I put it in my buggy. Then, "If it's the size of a steak, maybe I should treat it like one. So off I went to create a meal of steak and potatoes...only without steak or potatoes.

For the potatoes, I boiled up cauliflower that I then puréed with a stick blender, pouring in milk little by little til it was the right consistency. Once it looked like mashed potatoes, I mixed in some cheese (I had a double cream Gouda on hand) and fresh thyme. I then piled it into my huge mushroom cap, topped with a little paprika, and threw it in the oven for a few minutes til it set up.

I used 1% milk and no butter so the cauliflower was pretty seriously healthy. And since the steak was really just one big veggie, your cholesterol is a non-issue.

It's not a true replacement for a hunk of red meat (nothing is), but it did satisfy my meat and taters craving and happened to be one of the healthiest meals I've had in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails