Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Spinach Tofu Quesadilla

Over the Summer, I was at Blockheads when a friend ordered a spinach and tofu quesadilla.  This friend wasn't a vegetarian but after a taste, I understood how she was satisfied with the meat-free lunch.  This weekend, I was looking for an excuse to try out my brand new grill pan, and the spinach tofu quesadilla was just the ticket.

I couldn't have made it easier on myself.  I covered a tortilla with mozarella cheese, tofu, fresh spinach, and Asian chili sauce.  Slap one more tortilla on top and you're good to go.

What a sneaky (read: amazing) contraption that grill pan is!  Though I gained a gorgeous roof deck when I moved, I lost my huge private patio.  All in all, this was step up in the outdoor space department, considering  my old patio got zero sun and tanning space is at a premium in New York.  However, the one thing I miss about the former patio is my huge [not so legal] grill.  Grilling is verboten on my new roof deck so I have had to settle for using it only for sun exposure and non-flame broiled food.  Poor me.  

My Mom suggested a grill pan might ease the pain and - like always - my Mom was right.  The pan got hot right away and even made those perfect grill marks which are a huge part of why I like grilling in the first place.  As long as you have a vent in your kitchen, invest in one of these.  Why oh why would you ever use a George Foreman?  Those things require you to pour out the fat when we all know that's where the flavor comes from.  This is the much smarter choice for your urban grilling needs. 

And by the way, my quesadilla was great.  I may make some adjustments next time by grilling the tofu separately first for additional flavor and by using a mix of mozzarella and goat cheese instead of just mozz.  Tofu...who knew?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails