Search This Blog

Monday, October 8, 2012

Kale Salad

I've started noticing restaurants using kale instead of lettuce for salads.  I had assumed kale was too tough to eat raw but it doesn't just work, it's freakin awesome.  It's not all watery like other lettuce types (yea you, iceberg).  It's thick so you'll be crunching all over the place (which I think makes you feel fuller) and it's one of those superfoods packed with antioxidants.  I guess what I'm saying is, if you can figure out more ways to use it...do so!

Trader Joe's had a bag already washed and chopped, but I gave it another run-through with the knife to make it a little more manageable on the ol chompers.  The rest is super simple but made for a truly fabulous salad: tomato, avocado, gorgonzola, and Trader Joe's light champagne vinaigrette.  You can mix it up when it comes to the dressing, but do what i did and pick something that's a little thicker than a normal vinaigrette so it breaks down the kale and keeps it from overpowering the salad.  Seriously, this salad was pretty close to perfect.  I could see edamame or some sort of bean also working but not necessary.  Make this.  Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails