Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Voce Columbus

The ball was in my court for picking a work dinner last week with the only condition being that we not stray too far from the office.  I went with A Voce in the Time Warner Center (Columbus Circle) for some much praised fine Italian.  It's a lot of pressure to pick a restaurant when your superior is involved - I was dealing with power players but I turned into the boss.  I held my breath, hoping the group would like my choice.

First off, golf claps to A Voce for putting fresh focaccia bread on the table with homemade light-as-air ricotta.  Worlds better than bread and oil.  We all decided to do an appetizer and a pasta for our meal and my appetizer was a creamy dreamy chilled corn soup.  The sweet corn broth was thick and perfectly smooth.  You want it thicker, do you?  No problem, there's a generous dollop of tangy marscapone floating in the bowl that you can swirl in as you like.  A few small basil leaves kept the flavor from being too rich and flat.  I highly recommend ordering a pasta dish as all pasta is made fresh.  I went with the corzetti, flat, 2" discs of pasta topped with crispy, salty crumbs of speck, leeks, and crab.  I would have liked just a bit more crab, but it was still a wonderful pasta dish.  We also ordered two cold vegetable sides for the table, tomatoes with herbs and breadcrumbs and cucumbers with vinegar, ricotta salata, and pepper.  These sides are not integral to the meal, but they were a welcome, simple accompaniment.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal so I was able to breath again...only breathing had become slightly more difficult in my tight dress considering I was so stuffed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails