Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bi Lokma

When Mallory and I were both feeling a bit under the weather on Friday, we decided to switch our happy hour to tea and Turkish food at a random but central spot on 45th, Bi Lokma.  Mallory had been before and recommended the apple tea, a warm, sweet concoction that was as perfect as perfect can be on a rainy day when I'd had a 5 hour headache.

After sharing hummus with this amazing focaccia style flatbread, Mallory ordered a salad and the hot yogurt soup (sounds weird but tasted amazing with all sorts of flavors we couldn't place).  I went with the burek, which was basically that flaming greek saganaki cheese stuffed inside cigar shaped phyllo dough.  I also ordered the grape leaves stuffed with rice and - oo surprise! - currents.  For a dish that's usually salty and acid filled, the sweet currents were a nice switcharoo.

Though I'm usually a member of the clean plate club, Mallory warned me to stop when I felt myself getting full so I could save room for dessert.  Much like the yogurt soup, the butternut squash sounds like an odd choice but tasted wonderful.  It's been candied and sits in a very light syrup, topped with fresh cream and chopped walnuts.  It was almost like chilled, not-chewy dried fruit.  It was refreshing and light but still sweet enough to feel like a true dessert.

When we arrived, the restaurant was calm enough to serve as a place to sip tea and read a book.  By the time dinner hour was in full swing, the atmosphere was still relaxed but filled with people who have found this somewhat hidden gem.  Two things to keep in mind: 1) BYOB and 2) cash only.  Cash only can be slightly annoying, but the BYOB part cancels it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails