Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Thighs Surprise + Orange and Fennel Salad

On a whim, I bought chicken thighs stuffed with apples and cherries at Whole Foods.  I always gravitate toward chicken breasts, but these just called my name.  Partly because they were just so cute and tiny but also because they were so cheap (five stuffed thighs were only about $3.50).  I drizzled them with olive oil and baked til they were cooked through.  I can not even tell you how amazing and cinnamon-y this made my apartment smell.  It smelled the way a fireplace feels.  Does that make sense?  Probably not, but there it is.

I am now re-thinking my dark meat prejudice (racism?).  Since the cut of meat is so cheap, you can afford to stuff it with nicer, richer ingredients without breaking the bank.  I was afraid I left it in the oven too long, but because it was dark meat, it was still super tender.

I'm trying to maintain the healthy new year lifestyle, so I made a salad on the side.  I sliced fennel and spread it over mixed greens with orange segments and avocado.  I had some ricotta left over and thought "why not," so on it went as well.  I made a quick vinaigrette with dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and olive oil.  The fennel has a sweet anise-y flavor, especially when raw.  I hate anise, but because fennel has a great crunchy texture and usually paired with other interesting flavors, I always end up loving it.  This salad is the perfect way to highlight it.  The pop of the juicy citrus, plus the creamy avocado and ricotta, and then the snap of the fennel - it all played off each other in the best way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails