Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Inspiration Station: "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"

Yes, I know last month's Inspiration Station was also a John Hughes movie, but I couldn't resist using Ferris Bueller as February's inspiration once this teaser clip came out:
Could it be?!   A modern day Ferris adventure is exactly what the world needs.  Sadly, no.  While we now know this was just the beginning of a longer Super Bowl commercial for Honda, it still got me thinking about some things you might enjoy:

  1. The Dish: When they try to eat at a fancy French restaurant, Ferris impersonates Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago so sausage had to be the base of my dish.  I decided to make a potato and sausage gratin using apple chardonnay chicken sausage.  I used a mandolin to get perfect thin potato slices and then cut the sausage into 1/4" thick slices.  Make sure you grease your casserole dish so you can actually get the tasty potatoes out once it's cooked.  I layered the potatoes like shingles, topped with a layer of shredded cheese (gruyere is the classic gratin cheese, but I used another aged cheese that I found because it was less expensive but still provided that earthy flavor), sprinkled with chopped cipollini onions, added a layer of sausage, and then repeated.  After two full layers of everything, I added one more layer of potatoes and reserved some cheese for the end of baking.  To lighten it up, I used half and half instead of cream (pour until it's about 3/4 of the way up the dish) and then baked it at 350 for a little over an hour.  In the last 15 minutes, sprinkle some more cheese on the top and finish cooking until the potatoes are soft and the cheese is browned.  It'll need to sit out for a few minutes to tighten up, but once it does, you're in for a treat.  This is so much better than the gratins you find at steakhouses because you get to add your own fun ingredients and control how fattening it is.  Using a strong, aged cheese adds a ton of flavor so you don't need too much of it to get the taste you want (despite what those steakhouses try to make you think) and I can now tell you that heavy cream isn't necessary to get the flavor you want.
  2. The Doodads:
  • Sloane wears a great fringe jacket throughout the movie that, thankfully, is back in style.  I'm a big fan of fringe in unexpected places so it doesn't look too line dance-y, but I'm already over the fringe hobo bags and boots that were so popular a year or two ago.  This bathing suit top uses fringe to add sex appeal on the beach without showing too much skin.  Unfortunately, I already forgot where I found this so you'll have to do some searching online.
  • I still have not realized my dream of commandeering a parade float and leading the crowd in a crazy singalong, but I'm pretty sure the feeling is the same as the one I get at karaoke.  New York is filled with karaoke bars where you can fill a private room with your friends and belt it out for a few hours.  One of my new favorites is Radio Star Karaoke because of the great drink specials.
  • Every day can't be a parade day, but I recommend incorporating some confetti or streamers into your home to make it extra cheerful.  I'm a big fan of these garlands from Confetti System that remind me of the parade floats and get me in the mood for a little Twist and Shout.
  • I did the shower faux-hawk for years after I first saw this movie.  I may not have fully matured out of this phase, but I have moved beyond No More Tears shampoo.  I still don't use fancy shampoos, but a hairdresser recently used Bumble and Bumble's Surf Spray on my locks, and I was pretty pleased with the results.  It may not be faux-hawk, but beachy waves is a look I may actually be able to rock outside the shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails