Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mediterranean Rice Bowl

It's very rare that I have a vegetarian meal, but the other night my apartment was totally devoid of any meat so I threw together a rice bowl that was satisfying without the meat and helped me on my quest to be slightly healthier [in preparation of an upcoming trip where I'll have to get into a bathing suit].  This is one of those "throw in whatever you have" meals so the veggie combinations are endless.

Just cook rice and top with your favorite hummus (I'm really liking Whole Foods' jalapeno hummus), add your favorite veggies (I sauteed yellow squash, zucchini, and lotus root with olive oil, salt, and pepper), and then finish it off with crumbled feta.  I bought the lotus root in the freezer section at Whole Foods a while back but never knew how to use it.  It seems like it is mostly used in Asian cuisine, but I think it's versatile enough for this dish.  It is a little tougher without the thick sauces that usually cover it, but the flavor was good and it kept this dish from being too mushy.

I happened to love my veggie choices, but I'm thinking sliced snow peas, cucumber, mushrooms, and pickled veggies would also all work.  I was surprised by how fulfilling this meal was - I highly recommend it on a busy day.  Hummus is one of those things you should always keep in your fridge for a quick and healthy snack, and if rice isn't one of your pantry staples...well I just find that weird.  The rest of the ingredients involve no more than a quick stop at the bodega on the way home.  If I keep going like this, I don't think I'll have anything to worry about in the bathing suit department. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails