Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Book Review: Love, Loss, and What I Wore

Can you really call this a book?  I read it cover to cover during the commercial breaks of an hour-long tv show.  Whatever you want to call it, I found Ilene Beckerman's quick stroll down memory lane to be refreshing.  All major events in Beckerman's life - from dates to divorces - are tied to an outfit.  While I was reading it, I realized I could match every significant memory in my life to what I was wearing at the time.  I remember a special trip to Atlanta to pick out three outfits for my bat mitzvah because Savannah didn't have boutiques at the time.  I remember hating "shiny shoes" at 4 years old so I wore tennis shoes with a fancy velvet dress to the ballet in Atlanta.  I could also tell you what I wore to my first fraternity party, first day of work, and first date with my ex-boyfriend.  All that, and I'm not really into fashion.  There's just something about an outfit that stays with you, defines you even.  Perhaps that's why the off-Broadway show based on this book is so successful.  Do any of you have a favorite outfit linked to a special memory?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails