Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

3 on Thursday

Happy Thursday!  I'm extra happy because tomorrow is a half day and there's no work on Monday, all thanks to Presidents' Day.  Short work weeks always put me in a good mood.  Other things putting me in a good mood:
I thought this year's Grammys were fun to watch, which is good since so  many people tuned in due to Whitney Houston's untimely death the night before the show.  The performances were spectacular and I'm glad Adele took home the most awards of the evening because her soulful voice is identifiable and simply beautiful.  I did, however, want to give Bruno Mars a shout out in this post's picture because I think his sound is fabulous and it's a shame he had to go up against Adele all evening.  But the real thing I want to talk about in this post is the fact that Chris Brown performed.  I will admit, he is an extremely talented performer; but I can not comprehend why the Grammys would allow him to sing and dance in a lavish performance - the essence of glorification - when he bashed in his former girlfriend's face and showed zero remorse.  I'm going to stop before this turns into a full on rant and let the good people from HelloGiggles take over because they say it so well.  Shame on you, Grammys.  You sit atop a musical throne and used your influence to tell the world that abuse isn't really so bad as long as you're a good performer.
Lucky Brits.  The Royal Mail is releasing Roald Dahl stamps.  Like most of you, I grew up on Dahl's imaginative novels and would love to see their illustrations grace my rent check envelopes.  Not that the US has awful stamps - I saw a very pretty one celebrating the year of the dragon - but I'm just a little jealous.  
Yacht Rock is an Atlanta thing.  Every week, these guys dress in leisure suits and aviators and sing cruise shippy songs.  I'm talking so much Hall and Oates.  There's no better way to describe their sound than "smooth".  Concert goers usually dress up in captain's hats,  and I've missed the experience.  Lucky for me (and all New Yorkers), Yacht Rock is coming to NYC about twice a year so we, too, can get groovy.  I highly recommend checking them out - I'm pretty sure they'll be back on cinco de mayo.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails