Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Pork and Peach Perfection

Andrew had a conflict last night and I have one next week, which means our True Blood dinners had to be put on hold.  While I have no idea how I am going to call on the strength to keep myself from watching for two weeks, it will all be worth it when we do a marathon meal two weeks from now.  Even though I wasn't going to be at Andrew's, I didn't want to waste the opportunity to enjoy a homemade Sunday supper so I headed to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients for two new recipes.

The first recipe was not of my own design.  When I saw both "simple" and "summer" in the recipe title for this squash soup, I was hooked.  Summer should be simple - that's why everybody loves the season.  I sauteed onion and garlic in a soup pot, added yellow squash and let it go until it was all soft.  I then added vegetable broth, cumin, and curry powder and let it simmer.  When it all looked to be warm and cooked through, I pureed it with an immersion blender.  It was delicious, but I have to admit the flavors were a little more Autumn-y.  I should have put some fresh herbs or something as a garnish because the picture doesn't look very impressive, but the taste was good and that's all that matters.  I'll make it again, but I'll wait til it gets a little cooler outside.

The next recipe was all mine.  It's nothing super special - only a few simple ingredients - but it was a solid sandwich.  I brushed a pork tenderloin with a mustard and brown sugar mixture and baked.  I sliced it up and wrapped in a tortilla with nectarine slices and blue cheese.  Actually, the cheese was called gorganbert - a mix of gorganzola and camembert that I found at Trader Joes.  It was cheap, creamy, and delicious.  This was a great sandwich.  Think about it: you know pork and peaches is a good combo and blue cheese usually works with stone fruit.  By the transitive property of cooking, this recipe was bound to be good.  If I could do anything differently, I would perhaps press the sandwich, but I was too hungry and excited to try my recipe that I didn't want to wait.  I would also like to try making this with pulled pork to see how the texture changes the dish.  I'll let you know how those alternate versions work (if they're worth talking about), but in the meantime, I recommend trying the recipe as-is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails