Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2011

In the Land of Bread and Honey

It was a fond but distant memory that brought me to Bread and Honey.  That memory is of a Mongolian BBQ restaurant in Savannah, aptly named Mongolian BBQ.  It was open way back when I was a lower school tot and I loved it.  Maybe it's because I'm not crazy about carrots in things and at Mongolian BBQ I could choose not to put them in the bowl.  Double helping of broccoli?  Don't mind if I do.  I got to design my own meal, right down to the sauces - what a nice creative outlet that is.  It was a sad day when Mongolian BBQ closed and I had not seen a place like it...until now.

Bread and Honey is somewhere between a glorified bodega and a low key market.  In addition to a couple aisles of grocery staples, there's a huge salad bar, a sandwich station, udon, and a mongolian bbq bar.  The spread of veggies and sauces were quite impressive and the men manning the station wielded their three-foot-long chopsticks with prowess.  It's all done by weight, so if you choose your ingredients wisely, you can get away with an incredibly cheap meal.  An incredibly cheap meal that could include squid, salmon, beef, shrimp, chicken, sprouts, noodles, mushrooms - whatever your little heart desires.  It was a delicious visit to my childhood - a lunchtime visit I plan to make often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails