Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Japanese in Chinatown?

This is a very special weekend.  Dave's friend Andy (who you may remember from our Indy 500 trip) is visiting on his first ever trip to NYC!  We have taken it upon ourselves to make sure he has an amazing trip so I have turned into Tess, cruise director extraordinaire.  While we were finishing up at work, Andy got most of the touristy stuff out of the way, meaning we take over when it comes to local food and fun related activities, starting with dinner last night.  Usually, I'm the one coming to the table with interesting restaurant options, but Dave really came through on this one after receiving a tip from a co-worker.  I [warily] trusted him, and off we went to meet up with another Indy pal, Jimbo and his sister.

Let me set the record straight on two things regarding Chinatown East:

  1. It is not in Chinatown.   In fact it is all the way in the UES on 3rd, between 92nd and 93rd.  While I am perfectly comfortable in the UES, some of you readers out there may worry about getting a nosebleed all the way up there.  Get over it.  It is well worth the trip uptown.
  2. You don't go there for Chinese food.  You don't even look past the sushi menu.  I don't even know if they serve Chinese food there.  Keep reading to understand why.  

The reason I say you don't look past the sushi menu is because of their all-you-can-eat deal.  You can get all-you-can-eat sushi for $25.95, all-you-can-drink sake, beer, and wine for $14.95, or the jackpot all-you-can-eat-and-drink deal for the ultra-low price of $31.95.  Don't believe me?  I agree, it's outside the realm of imagination for such a deal to exist.  That's why I've included proof:
I was a little nervous that we would be walking into a dive, but the restaurant was clean and surprisingly nice inside.  We started the evening off with a round of sake bombs (yes, included in the price).  Now it's a party.  Fueled with sake and beer, we sought to try everything on the menu (why not, when it's all included?!).  The sushi was also worlds better than I had anticipated.  Since they're practically giving it away, I thought we would be getting the dregs of the sea, but the fish was quality.  Not Morimoto, but better than a lot of neighborhood sushi places out there.  

The whole bill with tax and tip came to $40.55 a person, which is amazing considering how much food and alcohol you can squeeze out of this place.  It may be a little far uptown, but I'm always up to traveling for a good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails