Search This Blog

Monday, November 2, 2009

Columbia Football - Who Knew?!

This past Saturday, I decided to do something a little different.  I had some time before I needed to begin prepping for my annual Halloween party, so Dave and I decided to hop on the 1 train and head to 218th St. for the Columbia/Yale football game.  I'm not gonna lie; I was a little leery - I'm used to tailgating UGA-style and thought an Ivy League university could never compare.  I was right.  You can't compare the two.  That's like comparing steak and spam.  Yes they're both edible, but I'm not even sure they can both be considered meat.  It doesn't come close to an SEC experience; nevertheless, I had a great time at the game.

Let's start with the best part: the sweetest deal in Manhattan.  A $10 ticket  buys you a great seat on the 50 yard line and 4 free beers in the tailgating area.  In case you're not a beer drinker, there's also complimentary water and coke so you can still feel like you're getting a deal.  They're basically paying you to go to the game.  Football and beer is a classic combination.  Football and FREE beer is an even better combination.  This is quite the hidden gem.

Once you get into the stadium, you'll notice a few other differences.  For a college stadium, it's not very big, but that's ok because it didn't fill up anyway.  The spectators are not big football people, and their M.O. is pretty much to cheer when they see other people cheering.

And finally, the band is a sight to see.  They were dressed casually in rugby shirts and had no adult supervision.  During the halftime show they presented a skit in which they made fun of the other Ivy League schools; however, in true Ivy League fashion, their trash talk was limited to "we're smarter than you", "Brown is full of hippies" and "There's no Ivy in Ithica hahaha".  I was hoping they would at least throw in a "yo mama", but alas, those Ivy Leaguers are just too highbrow.  The band also took it upon themselves to act as the unofficial cheerleaders of the game (even though there were already cheerleaders there).  They spent the game yelling obscene phrases from their section such as:

  • Proctologist!  Proctologist!  Ram it in the hole!


  • Hold her hand ::clap clap:: Tell her lies ::clap clap:: Hold her hand!  Tell her lies!  Let's score!


  • I also heard one that ended with "make my nipples hard"

All in all, it was a fun experience and one I'll definitely have to repeat.  Although I was unable to replicate the true UGA tailgating experience, this was a great way to tide me over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails