Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Alchemist: Not Quite Golden

While blog-reading is great, it does not come close to the feeling of picking up and getting lost in a good book.  As a voracious reader I know that the sheer number of books out there can make choosing a title a daunting experience.  I am happy to help by lending my thoughts via book reviews to make your selection process easier.  For a more extensive list of my likes, dislikes, and past reviews, feel free to check me out on Goodreads.  I also hope this will satisfy my desire to participate in a book club, so please post your comments to facilitate a sort of virtual book club experience.

And now onto the book du jour: The Alchemist...

After hearing about this book for ages by just about anyone and everyone, I figured it was time I lent my discerning eye to the novel.  I had to see what all the fuss was about!  Was the book good?  Yes.  Was it as amazing as everyone told me it would be?  No. 

I found The Alchemist to be a great allegory showing the powerful nature of destiny and the importance of following one's heart.  However, I found the message came across as a tad trite.  The ideas are important, but I feel that at age 24, after having experienced high school, college, and [some] of the real world, I had already absorbed many of the lessons prior to reading.  While it was nice to have those lessons reinforced through this very quick read, the book did not surprise me in any way - and surprise is a key element taken into account on my likeability meter.  I wish I had read this book earlier, when I was less sure of myself, which is why I would make this required reading for high school or college students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails