Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Fig Butter Grilled Cheese

I bought fig butter for a recipe recently and had half a jar leftover.  I didn't want to waste it so I worked to find a recipe that incorporated it.  This may come as a surprise, but fig butter is not one of my go to ingredients.  It is by no means a typical condiment so I actually had to put some thought into coming up with a recipe that incorporated it.  Not only did I find a solution, I found a great one: grilled cheese.

I realized that figs and jam are common ingredients on a cheese plate and fig butter is basically fig jam so we're halfway to a cheese plate already - all that's missing is the cheese.  Minor detail.  Brie goes well with sweet flavors since it's sweet and mild itself.  Goat cheese's tang also works nicely with the sweet stuff since the two ingredients usually temper each other.  I was sitting in the cheese aisle debating which to go with...goat or brie?...goat and brie?  Using two cheeses seemed excessive so I really wanted to stick to one.  Actually, excessive is not the right word because when it comes to cheese, more is always better.  Two cheeses, however, would just take more time to cut, more room in the fridge, and more dollars from my wallet.  I wanted to just pick one good one.

The answer came to me in the form of a goat's milk brie.  Still tangy from the goat's milk but with all the smooth and mellow features of brie.  Both sides of the sandwich were smeared with fig butter and then the goat's milk brie went in the middle.  I used sourdough because I like it so don't push me for any additional rationale.  I knew it would taste good and I was right.  That's all you need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails