Search This Blog

Thursday, August 8, 2013

3 on Thursday

I'm excited to be sandwiched between two great weekends.  I am fresh off a visit from Mark and Allison and leaving tomorrow for DC to visit Sliz.  Obviously I'm most excited to have some quality time with my college bestie but this trip is also exciting because I'll get to see what it's like to travel with my new iPad.  Bus trips and plane rides are pretty much what the device was made for so I look forward to seeing what it can do.
While walking in the West Village I saw a cute little book shop so adorably named bookbook.  It's like The Shop Around The Corner from "You've Got Mail," only the internet hasn't put it out of business.  I usually don't allow myself to go into book stores because I'm a Barnes and Noble member so it doesn't make sense to buy elsewhere, but the smell of a book store is too intoxicating that it's impossible to walk out empty handed - better to just not go in at all.  But this time I just couldn't resist.  It's a small shop, but they have all the best sellers as well as some lesser known NYC themed titles and the prices - on brand new books, mind you - were unbeatable.  I bought three books for myself plus two more for my nieces (that doesn't count - they're gifts).  I didn't want Barnes and Noble to think I was cheating on them so I went home and ordered three more from them to even the score.  The first step to getting better is admitting you have a problem.
I tried some new vendors at Smorgasburg while my Mom was here and found some goodies.  I had never really heard much anything about Bolivian cuisine but apparently they make these things called salteñas which are like empanadas but with sweeter dough and filled with stew instead of just meat.  It was absolutely delicious.  This stew pie from Bolivian Llama Party may have been the favorite of the day.  We also tried great fish and chips from Handsome Hank's Fish Hut.  My mom kept asking which one was Handsome Hank - they didn't mind; they loved mugging for a photo.  Fun service aside, the portion was massive, they battered and fried each filet to order, and they get bonus points for using some sort of mustard in their tartar sauce - not traditional but best tartar sauce I think I've ever had.
For months, I have stopped to admire the window of a small florist right by my apartment.  I envision their centerpieces at my fictional wedding and even told my Mom that if I ever did get engaged I would start taking pictures of my favorites and having the florist in Savannah replicate.  Last week, I told her I wanted to take it a step further and start a tumblr showcasing their floral art because these masterpieces should not be limited to my own fake-wedding dreams.  These flowers are too beautiful to be enjoyed only by those who live near 37th and 3rd.  So please check out Blooms on Third to get your floral fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails