Search This Blog

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Feel Like Old Friends at Heidi's House

Last night, Greg, Susan, and I grabbed a late dinner at Heidi's House.  Although this restaurant is in the neighborhood, we never would have known about it without a Scoutmob coupon.  This little restaurant is tucked into a slot of a location on 78th between 1st and 2nd.  The name is truly appropriate because I felt like the husband/wife ownership team were letting me into their home, with touches like real hand towels in the bathroom and the fact that we all seemed like friends after about three minutes.  The owners sat at the bar with us, and we all waved goodbye to the chef when he left for the night.  It was like we were all just chilling in their kitchen.  And the food that came out of this particular kitchen was made with love.

Greg and Susan started with the shrimp tacos.  I didn't try them,  but Susan said they were very good and the shrimp were huge and well-seasoned.  For the entrees, Greg ordered the mac and cheese with bacon, Susan got the paella special, and I picked the gnocci special.  I tried every one of these dishes and loved them all.  The mac and cheese was packed with bacon and the clay pot it was served in kept the cheese warm and gooey.  The paella was packed with tons of seafood and sausage.  I think it was a good sign that even after Susan said she was full and was going to take the rest home, she couldn't stop picking at it until there was almost nothing left to take home.  My pieces of gnocci were so large I could split them in half, at which point they almost fell apart because they were so light.  They were served in a bowl with oyster mushrooms, truffle oil, parmesan, and roasted garlic.  The gnocci were made fresh that night, and you could tell.  They yielded to the firm mushrooms as I picked them out of the broth formed from all the oils and juices.

For the portion size and unique flavors, I was surprised how reasonably priced everything was.  I'm so glad Heidi invited us into her home.  I'll be sure to knock on her door again soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails